Premier called on the Administration to ensure providers have sufficient time to adapt to new Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP) quality reporting requirements included in last year’s rulemaking that will take effect in 2022. In a letter to CMS, Premier recommends that CMS adopt the following changes to ensure a smoother transition to reporting requirements for ACOs:
- Limit ACO reporting to aligned populations and start with lower data completeness.
- Clarify and establish quality performance benchmarks in advance.
- Seek additional input on MSSP quality measure set.
- Retain pay-for-reporting option for new entities or when measures are newly introduced or modified.
- Consider delaying or providing an exemption in 2022 for ACOs that may need additional time to transition to these new requirements.