Today, Premier and America’s Physician Groups recommended ways the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) can provide alternative payment models (APMs) much-needed financial stability during the COVID-19 pandemic while also preserving the future of the models and the role they play in moving healthcare from volume to value. In a letter to CMS Administrator Seema Verma, the groups urged the agency to:
- Allow organizations in APMs to move to no downside financial risk with modified upside risk, recognizing that losing the opportunity to achieve full shared savings would only compound the financial hardships they are experiencing due to COVID-19;
- Implement extreme and uncontrollable circumstances models across all CMS Innovation Center models, allowing model participants to maintain their current status;
- Provide an opportunity for entities to enter the Medicare Shared Savings Program and Direct Contracting for a January 1, 2021 start date;
- Accelerate pending payments to healthcare providers;
- Clarify quality mitigation approaches and expand these to other models; and
- Allow all ACOs 90 days to determine if they want to drop out of the program without penalty
About Premier, Inc.
Premier Inc. (NASDAQ: PINC) is a leading healthcare improvement company, uniting an alliance of more than 4,000 U.S. hospitals and health systems and approximately 175,000 other providers and organizations to transform healthcare. With integrated data and analytics, collaboratives, supply chain solutions, and consulting and other services, Premier enables better care and outcomes at a lower cost. Premier plays a critical role in the rapidly evolving healthcare industry, collaborating with members to co-develop long-term innovations that reinvent and improve the way care is delivered to patients nationwide. Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Premier is passionate about transforming American healthcare. Please visit Premier’s news and investor sites on www.premierinc.com; as well as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram and Premier’s blog for more information about the company.