NASHVILLE, TN & CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Premier Inc. (NASDAQ: PINC), a leading healthcare improvement company, recognized member hospitals and health systems today for their outstanding work to improve healthcare quality and costs.
“Health system recipients of Premier’s 2018 Breakthroughs Awards are industry leaders that continue to transform healthcare,” said Susan DeVore, president and CEO of Premier. “We are thrilled to recognize them for their innovative efforts to improve quality and efficiency, as well as the health of communities across the nation.”
Winners were announced during several awards ceremonies held at Premier’s annual Breakthroughs Conference and Exhibition in Nashville, Tennessee on June 20 and 21. Each summer, thousands of health system, academic institution and supplier representatives attend the conference to learn practical, replicable strategies to improve healthcare delivery.
ASCEND Peak Performance Award
The ASCEND Peak Performance Award honors health systems for their commitment to the values and core requirements of the ASCEND® program. The award recognizes one member that has been in the program less than three years and one member that has been in the program for three years or longer. Winners are selected based on their participation and ongoing compliance across the ASCEND program, including participation in sponsored educational events and documented cost savings using ASCEND program contracts. The 2018 recipients of the award are:
- Harris Health System, Texas (less than 3 years)
- Doctors Community Health System, Maryland (greater than 3 years)
ASCEND Clinical Partner Award
Firelands Regional Medical Center in Ohio received the ASCEND Clinical Partner Award for making important clinical contributions to the ASCEND program. This involves a high level of engagement with clinical team members to share best practices and key clinical learnings throughout the ASCEND membership for adoption across the industry.
Alternate Site Sponsor Award
The Alternate Site Sponsor Award recognizes Premier sponsors of affiliates that are utilizing all available resources to lower supply chain costs through extensive participation in Premier’s purchasing program. Sponsors are evaluated based on commitment of resources, involvement in new initiatives, innovation and overall participation in Premier’s alternate site programs. The 2018 winners are:
- Alliant Purchasing, Kentucky
- Pandion Optimization Alliance, New York
Culinary Cup Award
Premier presented the Culinary Cup Award to Genie Gunn, Food and Nutrition Manager of Verner Center for Early Learning to recognize her culinary talent. Gunn won the award for creating the best Breakfast All Day recipe, as judged by Premier members.
The three finalists for the award were:
- Ethan Headley, Director of Nutrition, Finger Lakes Health, New York – Pandion Optimization Alliance
- Jennifer Ball, Executive Chef, Soin Medical Center, Ohio – Kettering Health Network
- Neal Plazio, Executive Chef, University of Buffalo Campus Dining and Shops, New York – Pandion Optimization Alliance
In addition, six other culinary experts were among the top ten and are listed on the Breakthroughs Award winner website.
Supplier Diversity Award
Aurora Health Care in Wisconsin received the Supplier Diversity Award for establishing, as a part of their social responsibility initiatives, active programs to evaluate and support minority-, women- and veteran-owned enterprises, as well as small businesses, available through the Premier contract portfolio. Mount Sinai Health System in New York received an honorable mention.
Illuminating Excellence Award
Premier presented the Illuminating Excellence Award to the following individuals for being outstanding foodservice professionals. Winners were selected based on their improvements in operations, participation in Premier activities, professional/community activities and personal achievements.
- Davis Maurer, Clinical Nutrition Manager, Doctors Community Hospital, Maryland
- Duane Buske, General Manager of Purchasing, Aztec Shops LTD, California
- Kim Smith, Director of Culinary and Dining Services, Senior Living Residences, Massachusetts
- Michael Dry, Director of Foodservice and Vending, Imperial Vending and Foodservice, Oklahoma
- Toni Watkins, System Food and Nutrition Director, Riverside Health System, Virginia
Finalists for the award are listed on the Breakthroughs Award winner website.
Supply Chain Innovation Award
Mercy Health of Ohio received the Supply Chain Innovation Award for introducing innovative, replicable and high-impact supply chain improvement ideas to the Premier alliance.
Supply Chain Excellence Award
The following hospitals and health systems received the Supply Chain Excellence Award for superior supply expense performance:
- Agnesian HealthCare, Wisconsin – SSM Health
- Cape Fear Valley Health System, North Carolina
- Florida Hospital Apopka, Florida – Adventist Health System
- Florida Hospital Heartland Medical Center, Florida – Adventist Health System
- Hampshire Memorial Hospital, West Virginia –Valley Health System
- Mather Hospital, New York – Northwell Health
- McLaren Flint, Michigan – McLaren Health Care Corporation
- Mercy Health – St. Charles Hospital, Ohio – Mercy Health
- Oswego Hospital, New York – Oswego Health
- PeaceHealth Cottage Grove Community Medical Center, Oregon – PeaceHealth
- Presbyterian Healthcare Services, New Mexico
- Presence Health, Illinois
- Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center, Illinois – Presence Health
- SSM Health St. Clare Hospital -Baraboo, Wisconsin – SSM Health
Premier Inc. (NASDAQ: PINC) is a leading healthcare improvement company, uniting an alliance of approximately 3,900 U.S. hospitals and health systems and approximately 150,000 other providers and organizations. With integrated data and analytics, collaboratives, supply chain solutions, and advisory and other services, Premier enables better care and outcomes at a lower cost. Premier, a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient, plays a critical role in the rapidly evolving healthcare industry, collaborating with members to co-develop long-term innovations that reinvent and improve the way care is delivered to patients nationwide. Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Premier is passionate about transforming American healthcare. Please visit Premier’s news and investor sites on www.premierinc.com; as well as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram and Premier’s blog for more information about the company.