Drug shortage research and organization resources
Selected research (analyses, surveys) and related resources from key government agencies and professional organizations are provided below.
Premier healthcare alliance
- Navigating Drug Shortages in American Healthcare: A Premier healthcare alliance analysis. March 28, 2011.
- Buyer Beware: Drug Shortages and the Gray Market Premier healthcare alliance, August 15, 2011.
- Recommendations for healthcare providers to ensure safe, reliable purchases. Premier healthcare alliance, August 2011.
- "Drug shortages cost U.S. care providers at least $200 million annually, pose patient safety risks, research suggests." Premier healthcare alliance website. Press release March 28, 2011.
- Drug Shortages Summit Summary Report, American Society of Healthsystem Pharmacists, November 2010. American Society of Healthsystem Pharmacists (ASHP) resources:
- ASHP Drug Product Shortages Management Resource Center. Comprehensive, up-to-date information on drug shortages and clinically relevant alternatives to consider for position papers and sample policies. A drug shortage can also be reported to ASHP at this same website.
- ASHP, Drug Shortages Summit: Co-conveners take action on Capitol Hill Jan 21, 2011.
- Fox ER, Birt A, James KB, et al. ASHP Guidelines on Managing Drug Product Shortages in Hospitals and Health Systems. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2009; 66:1399-406.
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Current drug shortages.
- Facts About Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs).
- Questions and Answers, Pharmaceutical cGMPs for the 21st Century: A Risk-Based Approach.
- Counterfeit medicine - Buying and using counterfeit drugs
- MedWatch: FDA Safety information and adverse event reporting program
- CDER drug shortage workshop. Presenters including Premier health care alliance, ASHP, ISMP, AHA and more. (9/26/11)
Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP)
- Drug shortages threaten patient safety. ISMP Medication Safety Alert! July 29,2010.
- Drug shortages: National survey reveals high level of frustration, low level of safety. ISMP Medication Safety Alert! September 23, 2010. Provides examples of errors and adverse outcomes associated with drug shortages.
- ISMP. Weathering the storm: Managing the drug shortage situation. ISMP Medication Safety Alert! October 7, 2010;15(20):1-4.