CDC infection definitions, reports, and guidelines
- CDC-NHSN manual (2009)
- CDC-NHSN hospital definitions (2009)
- Home care - hospice APIC-HICPAC (2008)
- Long term care (1991)
- Prevention-control, long term care (2008)
- Surveillance practices (2007)
- NHSN infection surveillance data report (2009)
Patient safety component protocol. The National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Manual, Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, National Center for Infectious Diseases Atlanta, GA,USA.
Provides updated NHSN definitions as well as data collection protocols used by NHSN, and revised from prior NNIS protocols. This version is current through August, 2009.
- NHSN Manual 2009 (.pdf) (365 MB)
CDC/NHSN surveillance definition of health care–associated infection and criteria for specific types of infections in the acute care setting. Horan TC, Andrus M, Dudeck, MA. Am J Infect Control 2008; 36:309-32. Introduction current as of March 2009.
- CDC Definitions 2008 (.pdf) (140 KB)
APIC - HICPAC Surveillance definitions for home health care and home hospice infections,2008
- Definitions home – hospice care 2008 (.pdf) (157KB)
Definitions of Infection for Surveillance in Long Term Care
McGeer A, Campbell B, Emori TG, Hierholzer WJ, Jackson MM, Nicolle LE, Peppler C, Rivera A, Schollenberger DG, Simor AE, Smith PW, Wang E. Am J Infect Control 1991;19(1):1-7.
- Long term care definitions 1991 (.pdf) (116 KB)
Infection prevention and control in the long-term–care facility, SHEA/APIC Guideline, 2008.
Smith PW, Bennett G, Bradley S, et al. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2008;29: 785—814
Guideline from APIC Guidelines and SHEA Long-term-care committee. Updates prevention and control aspects of LTC programs and references the 1991 guideline for surveillance definitions.
- Long term care infection control 2008 (.pdf) (211 KB)
Lee TB, Montgomery, OG, Marx, J, Olmsted, RN, Scheckler, WE. Recommended practices for surveillance: Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC), Inc. American Journal of Infection Control 2007;35(7):427-440.
- Recommended practices 2007 (Word file) (180 KB)
National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) report, 2008 Data summary for 2008, issued December 2009. Am J Infect Control 2009; 37:783-805.
Latest data report available - earlier reports posted on CDC Web site: http://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/dataStat.html
- NHSN report, 2009(.pdf) (5.5MB )