Birth injuries take an emotional and financial toll on families, and they also create operational and clinical strain on healthcare organizations. But we have the power to improve perinatal outcomes significantly.
Committed to improving the quality and safety of perinatal care, Premier launched the Perinatal Safety Initiative in 2008 with 16 members of American Excess Insurance Exchange (AEIX), RRG.
Led by healthcare experts, including obstetricians, nurses, clinical engineers and professionals certified in quality and healthcare risk management, this collaborative:
- Measures a baseline of “high reliability” team characteristics
- Evaluates supply use
- Identifies potential savings
- Assesses organizational safety culture
The Perinatal Safety Initiative has:
- Lowered costs for hospitals and patients
- Strengthened safety and reduced liability as hospitals
- Developed, implemented and measured best practices that lead to more reliable clinical quality and better patient outcomes in labor and delivery
- Shared improved healthcare delivery processes
Perinatal Safety Initiative resources
Perinatal Safety Initiative press resources
- Listen to the press call about our Perinatal Safety Initiative
AEIX, an excess professional liability insurer, funded and developed the Perinatal Safety Initiative. Premier Insurance Management Services, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Premier, provides contracted management services for AEIX. Premier Insurance Management Services Inc. also offers fee-based perinatal risk management consulting services and benchmarking capability to hospitals that are not involved in the Perinatal Safety Initiative.