Premier Launches COVID-19 Testing Advisory Panel
As health systems across the nation plan to resume elective procedures, the availability of COVID-19 tests looms large. Like personal protective equipment, access to key components of COVID-19 tests such as chemical reagents and viral swabs has been limited.
While testing production is ramping up, nearly 60 percent of providers say they need guidance and best practices to determine which tests they should offer, and to whom, to smartly prioritize usage until supply chain challenges for testing are effectively addressed, according to a recent Premier survey.
It is clear that a collaborative, strategic approach must underpin providers’ testing efforts, as they seek to assure patient and worker safety, and their confidence, in the reopening phase.
To assist members in their efforts to expand testing and screening, Premier has formed the COVID-19 Testing Advisory Panel.
Comprised of executives from Premier member health systems, large employers and other nationally recognized leaders, the advisory panel will create best practices for developing testing plans, rapid response strategies and recommended use cases for different testing technologies. Its aim: assist providers in their efforts to test the right patient at the right time, in the right setting.
The COVID-19 Testing Advisory Panel is designed to provide guidance so health systems and employers can make dynamic allocations, alleviate risk and minimize the spread of infection. Its approach is multifaceted:
- Increase provider resiliency by facilitating the development and implementation of robust testing plans and rapid response programs.
- Strengthen the supply chain by ensuring access to cost-effective and accurate tests and testing equipment.
- Work strategically across the industry by aligning laboratory testing supplies and capacity with existing and anticipated laboratory needs.
- Collaborate and share expertise by identifying and disseminating best practices, and providing strategic direction and technical assistance to improve members’ testing, surveillance and contact tracing programs. Expertise will include insights on the best use of available screening and testing technologies, including point-of-care antigen and point-of-care nucleic acid tests.
- Partner with employers to help them manage employee screening and testing to ensure a healthy workforce.
- Provide key policy recommendations on regulatory and payment policy affecting health system and employer access to and use of tests and testing equipment.
Bringing together the nation’s leading experts.
Members in the advisory panel were selected for their recognized expertise and understanding of the healthcare marketplace, including their appreciation of the importance of a robust testing system and national testing guidelines.
Core panel members include:
- Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center
- McLaren Health Care
- Northwell Health
- Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Vidant Health
Restoring confidence in American communities.
Advancing widespread capabilities for health systems to achieve screening and diagnostic testing is key to our nation’s ability to resume elective procedures and confidently enter the post-pandemic reality. With the COVID-19 Testing Advisory Panel at the helm, Premier members can be assured in having access to the most up-to-date and effective practices and support.
During and beyond COVID-19, Premier continues to act as a trusted connection point across the industry. Our commitment is to continue sharing key insights, developing and spreading best practices, and partnering with our members so they are enabled to improve the health of their communities. Learn more.